Tuesday 15 March 2016

The Warrior

There are quite often misconceptions about what a warrior is. Both martial artists and layman sometimes make incorrect assumptions regarding the nature of a true warrior.


A 'warrior', a 'fighter', a 'martial artist' and a 'Budoka' aren't the same thing. They do share some traits, but there is a distinction between each.

Choki Motobu - Martial Artist
Naihanchi
 

I think the best way to define a warrior within today's society is to explain what a warrior isn't.

The following is a couple verses I wrote about what a warrior isn't.

 
 

I’m not a fighter,

I train myself with fighting techniques but I will do whatever I must to avoid using them.
I have nothing to prove, ego does not motivate me.

 

I’m not an athlete,

I seek to perform at the best I can be, but not for that reason. What I do is not sport.
I train to be the best I can be for a practical purpose. Competitiveness does not motivate me.

 

I’m not a coward,

I have the courage to do what must be done and the confidence not to second guess my decision after it’s made.
I will not hesitate, fears does not motivate me.

 


I'm not lazy,

I have the discipline and determination to do it now and not later.
Apathy does not stop my motivation.



I am not weak,

I am strong in both body and mind equally.
I'm in control of my mind and body; they are
not in control of me.


  
I am motivated by the concepts of Kaizen and Honour.
My motivation is the unending constant need for self-improvement as a person and a martial artist.


My motivation is the integrity of my spirit and virtues, for what is good and right.
 
 

The Warrior is a person who uses his knowledge and skill to fight for what is right and just.



 
Thanks for reading.
Derm

Ͼ

 

No comments:

Post a Comment